Kamala Devi Sohanraj Singhvi Jain College of Education is a self-financed co-educational teacher education Institution situated in Cossipore, by the Ganges and close to Chiriamore crossing. It was established in 2006 and received its affiliation from the NCTE on 25th Aug, 2008. It was affiliated to University of Calcutta from its inception until by notification issued by Govt of WB, Dept of Higher Education, dated 11. 2. 2016., it was affiliated to The West Bengal University of Teachers' Training, Education Planning and Administration on 13.5.2016.
Vision based on core values
Navkar Mantra in JainismNamo Arihantanam: I bow down to Arihanta (Those who have cleared their gati karmas)
Namo Siddhanam: I bow down to Siddha (The fully liberated souls)
Namo Ayriyanam: I bow down to Acharya (The spiritual leaders or Preceptors)
Namo Uvajjhayanam: I bow down to Upadhyaya (The teachers)
Namo Loe Savva-sahunam: I bow down to the monks or sages in the world.
Eso Panch Namokaro: These five bowing downs.
Savva-pavappanasano: Destroy all the sins.
Manglananch Savvesim: Amongst all that is auspicious.
Padhamam Havei Mangalam: This Navkar Mantra is the foremost
The college was founded by its parent body, Shree Shwetambar Sthanakvasi Jain Sabha, which is a benevolent Organization marked by its various philanthropic activities. The sole endeavour of this organization is to render selfless services to humanity with a broad aim to develop the society at large through education, and inculcation of social awareness and positive values among the younger generation.
Under the guiding principles of these values, Shree S. S. Jain Sabha, runs several philanthropic endeavours like - Three Schools, a Undergraduate College, a Teacher Educational College, an IGNOU special study centre, a Dental College, a Book Bank, a Hospital and Research Centre, a society for Women's Development, Jain Religious Society, Industrial Training Centre, Human Welfare Projects, and two Free Pre-primary school for underprivileged children (Neev).
The college is a teacher education institution evolving from dreams of S S S Jain Sabha with a vision to train and nurture young minds to become proficient and dedicated teachers strengthened with positive values and adept skills. It works with less profiteering and more philanthropic motive with a goal of disseminating education as one of the social responsibilities. The college believes that aspiring teachers should be given maximum scope to develop their personal potentials and creative abilities and also be prepared with such qualities that may enable them to contribute optimally to social welfare and development. So, besides imparting academic education, providing scope for co-curricular development and inculcating social responsibilities, building strong, positive values - both personal and social is also considered as equally essential and an integral part of institution's mission.
List of the Managing Committee of the College
- Sri Sohanraj Singhvi - President
- Sri Ridh Karan Bothra - Vice President
- Sri Binod Chand Kankaria - Secretary
- Sri Sardar Mull Kankaria - Member
- Smt Sashi Kankaria - Member
- Sri Virendra Singhvi - Member
- Sri Jai Bothra - Member
- Dr. Sadhana Jha - Principal
Goals and Objectives
- To conduct teacher education programmes to enhance teaching proficiency of aspiring teachers.
- To develop academic abilities as well as co-curricular interests in students.
- To promote the use of software and ICT materials in teaching learning.
- To promote the practice of rendering community services among the teachers and students.
- To provide students with adequate platform to develop their potentials.
- To encourage staff members to work upon their continuous academic development.
- To provide healthy and supportive school environment for internship training of students.
- To promote scope for conducting
educational research activities through
Fundamental Rights of Minorities Article-30 of Indian Constitution
- All minorities, based on religion or language, shall have the right to establish & administer educational institutions of their choice.
- The state shall not, in granting aid to educational institutions, discriminate against any educational institution on the ground that it is under the management of a minority, whether based on religion or language.
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction followed in the college is English and Bengali.
During the course every student will be provided with an identity card. Students must come to the college with their identity cards and must show the card at the main entrance of the college. Loss of identity card must be reported to the college authority immediately.
Discipline is a sine qua non of any successful academic life. Students are expected to maintain proper discipline and peace in the Class Room, in the College Office, in the Library and Reading Room, in the Meeting Hall, in the Play Ground and College campus is general as well as in all spheres of College life in their own interests.
No Society/Association/Club or other organizations shall be formed without the prior permission of the college authorities.
No meeting of the students shall be convened and no outside person shall be invited in the college campus without the permission of the college authorities.
No function, social or otherwise shall be organized by the students in or outside the college campus in the name of the college without the permission of the college authorities.
Any student found guilty of the breach of discipline, rules or regulations shall be liable to disciplinary action including expulsion from the college as decided by the college authorities.